Subject: Re: MacBSD on a Duo270c ?
To: David Ray <daver@idiom.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/18/1996 11:10:31
On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, David Ray wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is my first post to the group so I hope someone can help.  I'm trying
> to use NetBSD on a Duo 270C. I downloaed versions 1.0 and 1.1 of the
> kernel, as well as Booter 1.9. I'm trying to boot it from the MacOS to make
> sure that I can use the full distribution on an AUX partition. It gets part
> way through the boot process but crashes before it gets to bootstrap mode.
> Here's a copy of the messages displayed by the Booter before it crashes:
>
> Booting...MID_M68K executable: entry 0x3324
> Malloced 1035100 bytes.
> 705328 (0x0)+54476+102872+44424+46897
> Set _boothowto to 0x2
> envbuf - buf = 961377 (0xeab61)
>    Bye-bye.....So I sez...[etc]
> Ser Console = 0
> Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0x1
> Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x890e 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }
> vbl_set: drefnum -49, slotid 0xe, spid 0x89, onoff 0

Have you tried changing the value of that checkbox at the bottom that says
disable VBL interrupts?

> Are there any kernels around that might work on a Duo 270c?

Since it didn't even get to the end of the booter, I wouldn't worry about
the kernel yet.  That's still MacOS code.  You should have been able to
force quit at that point... if the processor status wasn't hosed... or at
least drop into the debugger and "g finder" or "es".

As for whether a kernel will handle internal video on the Duos... I'm
really not sure.  I think the current ones will, but I could be wrong.

Good luck,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |