Subject: Re: console keyboard mapping
To: Markus Hitter <M.Hitter@trier.fh-rpl.de>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1996 18:58:07
> > So, I think it's better to supply such an
> > interface (probably an ioctl() for /dev/adb) and key map definition
> > files for various international keyboard layouts.  And a user can
> > install any of those as he/she wishes, or write one if there isn't any
> > already written for his/her keyboard layout.
>
> But how to pass this lot information? We need 5*128 = 640 bytes to pass.

It's not much.  Besides, all we need is a new ioctl function code for
installation of keymap.  Open() the device, ioctl(fd, ADBIOCBLAH,
&keymap), and close().  This is the basic outline of the userland
keymap installer.  It's simple, isn't it?

> Passing one information per call whould be time consuming and require a
> configuration program or script. Passing a pointer to a buffer whould require a
> configuration program, passing something like a file descriptor whould require
> the the console to read the file, this is new funtionality...

I don't understand what you say here.  Passing the entire keymap is
fine because you don't switch from one map to another that often.

ken