Subject: Re: Silly Kernel/Compiler Question
To: None <spectrum@rlion.com>
From: Ben Hockenhull <benh@inlink.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/17/1996 08:38:49
>Ok, ive now got several kernels to juggle around with to figure out
>which one is best to use... Question: IF i compile something with one
>kernel, will it run under the others? or do i need to recompile (or
>should I recompile) for each kernel that i want to use...

I could be wrong (and please correct me if so) but I think it depends on
the binary in question.  In my experience, most binaries work fine under
any kernel I have used.  Others have not worked under other kernels, but
that might be due to my amateurish attempts at changing the source "just to
see what happens".

>And does the active kernel name *have* to be /netbsd ? I was just
>telling the booter to boot the kernel i wanted to use
>"/netbsd.111895.GENERIC.fpe" for instance...

You can call the kernel anything you want to, as long as the name is the
same for the actual kernel and in the booter, so you are correct here.

Ben

----<benh@inlink.com>----
"Does my nose amuse you?
Is it funny, like a clown?"