Subject: Re: Ghostscript 2
To: Arnaud Blanchard <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1996 09:58:22

> Hi, Bill,
>
> I have succesfully installed Ghostscript
> (the missing files is in the sources kit !!! )
> But now I have other problem
> - When I print a standart text by " lpr -Plp XXX" or "lpr XXX"
> My printer ( DeskWriter 510 ) print sometings like this
>
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>                         XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>                                       XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>                                                      XXXXXXXXXX
> where XXX is the correct text .
> (I use YOUR termcap, and YOUR patch to rc.local )

Are these breaks happening at new lines in the text, or at random places?
I.E.

*---------- Line 1 -----------*
                              *---- Line 2 -------*
                                                  *---- Line 3 ----*

vs.

*-------- Line 1 --------*
                         *------ more of line 1 ------*

If it's the latter, I don't know what's wrong. If it's the former, then
something's wrong with the handling of carrage returns and linefeeds.

The input filter I included for text sets the printer in a mode which
treats LF characters as a CR/LF combination (what UNIX needs).

The textfilter I included (/usr/local/bin/textfilter) uses control codes
which work on a DeskWriter, DW500, and DW550. They might not work on
a 510, though that failure would suprise me.

Try a "stty -f /dev/tty01 raw", then cat file > /dev/tty01. You should
probably get text looking like you describe. Then try
'/usr/bin/printf "\033%s" "&k3G" > /dev/tty01' which will send the escape
to put the printer in a unix-compatable mode (the outer quotes '' are just
for deliniation in the mesage. the inner quotes "" need to be on the
command line). Try the cat file > /dev/tty01 again. On my printer, at this
point, text comes out right.

> However I have succesfully printed the "Golfer" and the "Tiger"
> But the border is too small . Where can I configure the border ?
> (I use A4 pages )

You need to set the paper size to A4. I set the default to be US-Letter
(8.5"x11"). It's one of the gs options which I don't remember.

> An other problem: when I tried to print an other example, nothing
> happend ??? ( I wait for 15 mn on a IIci ). Is there a problem with
> the other examples ??

The examples I included are right out of the gs distribution; I don't
think there should be problems with them. Did you do a "ps aux|more"
after printing it to see if ghostscript was running? Note: your ps
program must be close to the same vintage as your kernel for this check
to work correctly.

> I have tried GhostVew . ( GREAT ) But it says to me that they are
> problems with the other examples ???

I don't know. I just got ghostscript to work so I could print from home;
I know very little about its innards.

Take care,

Bill