Subject: Re: scrolling performance
To: Port-Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <M.Hitter@trier.fh-rpl.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/1996 00:39:26
> > For example I managed to add
> > support for international keyboards and to make scrolling the console
> > faster.

The faster scrolling is done by copying less memory. The video memory
used for one scan line is 1024 bytes, even in 1-bit mode. But visible
are only 640 bits = 80 bytes. Copying only the visible part of the
screen makes scrolling up to 12 times faster. This is valid for LCII
internal video, other machines might have other values.

> I still use dt a lot, and I'm wondering if these changes might be mergable
> into the grf driver.

I don't know about this is mergable to the grf driver as I use currently
neither dt nor X (slow and small machine).

Markus

  Markus Hitter             Voice: ++49/651/828172
                            Email: hitterm@trier.fh-rpl.de
  Trier (Germany)           WWW: http://www.trier.fh-rpl.de/~hitterm