Subject: CDs and drives... (was Re: IIsi installer/running error(s)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Bowers <gargle@tcp.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/15/1996 04:21:12
>Wait a minute.  Whoa!  The root drive is sd1?  Let's see, the internal
>hard drive is sd0 (SCSI ID#0), the CD-ROM drive is sd1 (SCSI ID#3), and
>the external drive should be sd2 (SCSI ID#4,5,6) unless you've got the
>external hard drive set to be SCSI ID #1 or #2.
>
>The External CD ROM  drive is always on, right?
>
>If you boot with the CD-ROM drive off, it will only detect the external
>hard drive and will mount it as sd1.  If the CD-ROM drive is on, it will
>be detected and bump the external HD up to sd2.  Try booting with the
>CD-ROM drive on.  If you want to permanently get rid of this problem, try
>changing the SCSI ID for your external HD to SCSI ID#1 or #2 so that it's
>a lower number than the CD-ROM drive.

Err... I don't think this is correct is it? On my system I have as follows:
                                      netbsd drive allocation
1/2 gig internal quantum SCSI id 0      sd0
100 meg external quantum SCSI id 2      sd1
NEC CDROM (external)     SCSI id 3      cd0    <- has its own allocation
40 meg external apple    SCSI id 4      sd2
Zip drive                SCSI id 5      sd3

and hence it doesn't make any difference if the CD is on or off.

One point to remember is that with things like the zip which may not be
connected or turned on (or indeed an external HD which gets moved around),
they should have higher SCSI ID numbers than anything mounted in /etc/fstab
otherwise the boot sequence will get upset when it allocates its sd*
numbers to the connected drives and then tries to mount them and finds
something else in its place. If you're lucky (unlucky?) it will find a
valid partition and mount it from the wrong drive which, in my experience,
can be a bit of a problem when your /usr filesystem is on a different
drive!

 Steve Bowers       3rd year Electronics Student
                    Southampton University, UK

 gargle@tcp.co.uk
 srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk
 squid@mono.org
 (I love multi-purpose .sigs :)
 "I look at aethists and wish I had their faith"