Subject: Re: Serial Crap
To: None <spectrum@rlion.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 22:16:30

> ok for some reason i cant effectively use the serial ports anymore... i
> try pppd and it dials the modem, connects, gets the ip, i run ifconfig
> ppp0 up and no network crap happens. its froze... also try cu -s 38400
> -l tty00 and sometimes it says connected and sometimes not. in either
> case it locks up the WHOLE system and if connected i get some garbage
> chars on my screen... could i have corrupted my kernel or some other
> essential file during a crash or something? argh cant wait for the new
> serial driver heh heh...

Hmm. I'd suspect you've got some sort of corruption problem. I use
ppp regularly with the old patched driver w/o problems.

I think you'd been running an older version of the kerne but are
now using a newer version. Are your binaries caught up? I think things like
ps, csh, and (relevant to this discussion) netstat and ifconfig are
compiled with static libraries. One library tells the program how to
read kernel data; if the kernel changes (or isn't /netbsd), then
these lookups fail and nothing really works.

You shouldn't have to type anything once ppp is up; pppd sets everything
up. It freezing sounds like the kernel is out of sync with the programs.

Don't use cu; I've never gotten it to work right. The ppp how-to on puma
sets ppp up w/o it.

Take care,

Bill