Subject: Re: Ghostscript
To: Arnaud Blanchard <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 22:27:13

> I have tried to install the Ghostscript Kit from puma.
> I have just download gs262.mac68k.tgz .
> But when I tried "make install" it says that 5 files was missing
> (gslp ,ansi2knr ,NEWS ,README, gs.1) .
> After I have make what Bill write in README ..
> And when all was installed something like "lpr -Plp XXX" works very well but
> "lpr -Pps XXX.ps " or "lpr -Plp2 XXX" don't work.

Hmm. What error messages do you get? Note: as set up in the current gs dist.,
lp2 uses ps, which uses the 8-bit grayscale mode of ghostscript, which
is SLOW. Like 10 minutes a page. After you type the lpr command, do
a ps. If you see a ghostscript process (or three), it's working.

I want to re-do the gs distribution. I'll try to send you the needed
files in a few days (the tax man cometh in the US these days). Also, I
want to re-do the setup so that lp2 is a command (so enscript gets the name
of the file right) and so that gs runs direct (faster).

If someone want's to take over the care & feeding of the distribution, I'd
be happy to coach you on what to do (and to get it fixed up first).

Take care,

Bill