Subject: pppd revisited & Zip Drives
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Francis Fang <ffang@grover.printing.uiowa.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 23:14:49
I've gotten to the point where I can dial in successfully on tty00 and
start pppd. However, I can only telnet and ftp to the netBSD host. When I
try to telnet or ftp elsewhere, even to another machine on my subnet, I get
a dns type error - domain not found.

I can access (telnet/ftp/...) off the host from my login shell but not from
my Mac PB 5300 which I connect via ppp to the NetBSD host (a IIcx w/ a
daystar powercache 50).

I'm running the daystar (dayster?) kernel on the host and pppd v2.2 pl 0.
On the PB 5300c, I'm running FreePPP 1.0.5 and Open Transport 1.1 (w/
7.5.3). The TCP/IP control panel does have the correct dns server addresses
and using SLiRP off the same NetBSD host, I can get PPP access to my
internet services.

My options file is pretty much as Bill Studenmund posted in his HOWTO pkg.
It reads as follows :

passive
crtscts
defaultroute
lock
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 10
netmask 255.255.255.0
domain uiowa.edu
mtu 1500
disconnect /etc/ppp/ppp-down

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

On a different subject altogether, I've gotten my Zip drive working with
the NetBSD host fairly smoothly and I have it automounted through the
/etc/fstab file. Thanks for all the help, SteveB.

Is anyone interested in a HOW TO document for this? It turned out to be
pretty simple.

 University of Iowa                            Voice      : (319) 384 3726
                                               FAX        : (319) 384 3707