Subject: Re: ethernet card problem
To: None <PPhillips@finearts.sfa.uconn.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 20:19:17
> I am setting up a new system on a Mac II vx.  Without the ethernet card
> installed, I can get the system up an running all the way through login
> as root.  However, with the ethernet card in its Nubus slot, the system
> hangs about halfway throught the booting process (even before the single
> user prompt comes up).  The last line I get is:
>
> ae0 at nubus 0: address 00 00 94 21 08 16, type MacCon Ethernet 32k mem.
>
> Then the system hangs.
>
> My setup is as follows:
> Mac II vx with 12 meg memory.
> System 7.1 - everything I can think of taken OUT of the system folder.
> 32 bit addressing on, VM off.
> Asante MacCon Nubus thick/10 base T ethernet card. Link light is lit.(I
> even tried two different cards that I know are working with appletalk.)
> External Hard drive 560 meg with a Mac partition and the Unix partition
> on it (and a swap partition) set as SCSI 1.
> The base etc and so forth files are from the March 19 binaries, so I
> guess they are pretty recent.  I tried both the Booter 1.8 and
> prerelease of 1.9.
>
> Something about this ethernet thing is hanging the boot process, and I
> am at a loss.  I even tried switching nubus slots - no luck.  If anyone
> can help, I would be MOST grateful.  I want to get this thing on the
> net!

Have you tried completely shutting off all Mac-side networking before
booting into NetBSD?  That is, unless your machine needs MODE32, try
booting with extensions off and then boot NetBSD.  In the past, I
experienced hangs produced by Mac networking software (either EtherTalk
or MacTCP, but I'm not sure which).

Later.