Subject: ethernet card problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <PPhillips@finearts.sfa.uconn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 18:56:26
I hope someone can be of assistance to me.  Please forgive me, as I am
new to both MacBSD and Unix.

I am setting up a new system on a Mac II vx.  Without the ethernet card
installed, I can get the system up an running all the way through login
as root.  However, with the ethernet card in its Nubus slot, the system
hangs about halfway throught the booting process (even before the single
user prompt comes up).  The last line I get is:

ae0 at nubus 0: address 00 00 94 21 08 16, type MacCon Ethernet 32k mem.

Then the system hangs.

My setup is as follows:
Mac II vx with 12 meg memory.
System 7.1 - everything I can think of taken OUT of the system folder.
32 bit addressing on, VM off.
Asante MacCon Nubus thick/10 base T ethernet card. Link light is lit.(I
even tried two different cards that I know are working with appletalk.)
External Hard drive 560 meg with a Mac partition and the Unix partition
on it (and a swap partition) set as SCSI 1.
The base etc and so forth files are from the March 19 binaries, so I
guess they are pretty recent.  I tried both the Booter 1.8 and
prerelease of 1.9.

Something about this ethernet thing is hanging the boot process, and I
am at a loss.  I even tried switching nubus slots - no luck.  If anyone
can help, I would be MOST grateful.  I want to get this thing on the
net!

Thanks in advance,
Paul Phillips
pphillips@finearts.sfa.uconn.edu