Subject: Re:LC console errors
To: Port-Mac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <M.Hitter@trier.fh-rpl.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 23:37:04
> -- the screen clears EXCEPT for the first 5 or six and a half lines
> -- that's particularly strange, that half a line
> -- and the machine hangs

Well, if if I look carefully to the screen, I see that at my LCII half
of the first line is fixed, too. The machine does not hang. Thought it
is only a minor problem. But more than five lines are a lot.

Watching the boot process even more carefully I see that the screen is
scrolling fine the first few times. When reaching the message about the
boot time the first half line is suddenly fixed. Can you verify such
behaviour?

> than a hardware interface problem I'm thinking configuration error.
> But I'll entertain
> all suggestions. Could someone who has a FULLY working LCII please
> mail me their
> /etc/ttys and  gettytab files? And WHERE is the termcap stuff?

I've mailed my /etc/ttys file a few minutes ago to the list. 'termcap'
is in /usr/share/misc/termcap and should left unchanged. 'tset vt100'
should override all getty settings.

I used the ADBTEST.132 kernel as well as self-compiled versions of it.
Yes, my system (everything except 'config' and the kernel is from the
1.1 release) runs fine enough to compile it's own kernels.

The last few days I tried to improve the scrolling performance of the
console, with success. Looking trough the code and some tests showed,
that this should not be a problem of the console code. The video address
used when scrolling seems to be still correct, so the only suggestion I
can make that the upper part of the screen is valid RAM, but isn't
changed when writing to it. Perhaps a virtual memory problem?

Markus.          ...using a LCII, 4MB RAM, 1GB HD, no extras.

  Markus Hitter             Voice: ++49/651/828172
                            Email: hitterm@trier.fh-rpl.de
  Trier (Germany)           WWW: http://www.trier.fh-rpl.de/~hitterm