Subject: Re: Peculiar serial behaviour
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve B <srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1996 11:31:35
Having seen this discussion, I now realise that I'm getting this
behaviour on my Classic II at times. It has happened with both the
for_mays and the generic5 kernels.
What is happeneing in my case is that whenever i log in as root, I enter
the password and the terminal stops. I then have to hit return to get it
going again which selects the default terminal option after login (I'm
still using the supplied .login for root).
The other time I get this problem is when I isuue a reboot command whilst
logged in as root. The system reboot starts, tells me its issuing the
term signal or whatever and then sits there. I then have to press return
to get a repeat of the message and the same thing happens when syslogd
quits as well. I only get this problem when logged in as root. I have a
user called reboot which has /sbin/reboot as its shell and when I reboot
using this it doesn't exhibit the same behaviour.
I've also not noticed anything like this happening when I'm logged in as
a normal user but I'll look more carefully now.
Perhaps the problem lies with the issuing of console messages? It seems
to be around then that problems occur for me ie at reboot and also at
root login when is wants to display a ROOT Login on tty00 message after
I've sucessfully logged in.

btw. All this is on a serial console off the modem port.

SteveB
gargle@tcp.co.uk