Subject: Re: net etiquette
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/12/1996 00:25:43

>Chris Ghormley wrote:

< Stuff deleted to conserve bandwidth ;-) >

>An awful lot goes on that does not hit the mailing list: precisely *because*
>people chat between themselves to sort things out. But you couldn't know about
>that unless you ever took part in it.
>
>Much of the stuff that is on the list doesn't, for whatever reason, interest me
>at this exact time. I've developed a good method though for dealing with that.
>I call it "Delete Key", and it works a treat.

I've been archiving most of it myself locally... and I can't count the
number of times I've gone back to look for something while muttering "I
know somebody said something about this not long ago..."  Even if I scan
just the first few lines and decide its not of use right now, I find it
very helpfull to know what others are doing and getting to work.

< Bandwidth Police again >

>One of the things I like about this list is that being a relatively smallish
>community who contribute to it (afai can tell), it's very friendly. People are
>always willing to answer questions regardless of how "stupid" they may seem,
>and often offer further help by private email - which of course you wouldn't
>see, so you're pushing a very one-sided argument, in my opinion.
>
>Perhaps that makes this list unique? Who knows. But it's one of the most
>friendly lists I know - there's no "unix-newbie" bashing going on, and
>everybody seems keen to help out wherever possible with anybody else's problem.

I am also running Linux on an old PC at home and at work, and I must admit
I'm much more comfortable with the atmosphere on this list than on any of
the Linux newsgroups (I haven't checked the Linux mailing lists)... and I
consider myself a competant (although relatively new) Sys Admin, not a
"newbie"!

< Uh-oh... flashing lights getting closer! >

>Hope I haven't wasted too much of *your* bandwidth, Chris.

Well, that will be a $50 fine and 6 months community service for wasting
mine! ;-)

>John.

>The views expressed are the author's own opinion, and do not necessarily
>represent the view or policy of the Company.

ditto.

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{