Subject: Re: LCII terminal errors
To: Geoffrey Alexander <geoffrey@worf.netins.net>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1996 11:05:05
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Geoffrey Alexander wrote:

> I'm afraid this does nothing for me -- I emailed John about my particular
> errors -- actually, I >can< boot into multi-user if I run fsck manually and
> then 'ctrl-d [return]' to complete the boot.  The problem is...

Geoffrey,
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Things have been very hectic
at work and I have not had much time to spend on NetBSD/mac68 stuff.

> Attemps to either clear the last line on the terminal or scroll the screen and
> WRITE to that line or a new screen, I get a looped message:
>
> --> vm_fault(116000,6b95000,1,0)
>
> and the machine hangs...

In the past, the LCII could not boot because of what I suspected was
memory mapping problems. For some reason, the LCII memory mapping
started working with the sources I pulled down to make the ABDTEST132
kernel. It is possible that the way the video is mapped is correct
for the most part, but that the kernel thinks the screen is "taller" than
it really is, so when it tried to access the memory "below" the bottom
of the screen, it's accessing memory outside it's allowed range and causing
a page fault. Of course, I would think this would cause problems when the
screen clears initially at boot time, so perhaps this is not the problem.

Someone else on the list mentioned something about the size of your swap.
How much swap do you have?

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504