Subject: LC console errors
To: bsdlist <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoffrey Alexander <geoffrey@worf.netins.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/1996 18:30:44
David A. Gatwood said,

> This reminds me of the famous ADB input while scrolling bug....  It hasn't
> caused problems for a _long_ time, but wasn't the eventual cure "just
> use dt"?  Was there actually a kernel fix eventually?  Could it be that
> either
>
> A. the bug has crept back into the source tree
> B. it was never fixed
> C. the bug fix that worked for one system won't work on LC II's with certain
> configurations....
>
> If A, it'll get fixed =:-)
> If B, use dt
> If C, use dt
>
> To sum up, try dt.  See if the problem goes away.  If it does, it's just
> another ADB/scrolling compatibility problem in the console.

dt was the first thing I tried after realising it was a scrolling/screen-clearing
problem -- alas, it doesn't  work out of the box (and I've not facilities for configuring
and compiling :) -- the screen clears EXCEPT for the first 5 or six and a half lines
-- that's particularly strange, that half a line -- and the machine hangs -- so rather
than a hardware interface problem I'm thinking configuration error. But I'll entertain
all suggestions. Could someone who has a FULLY working LCII please mail me their
/etc/ttys and  gettytab files? And WHERE is the termcap stuff?

ps, I've noticed alot of the devices in /dev/ are empty files. Is there something I'm
missing (I checked fstab and it seems to have the correct info for my volumes).

(oh, and just so everyone knows -- I'm using John's latest ADBTEST.132 kernel with base11
and etc11).

Thanks to all who assist -- and thanks to NetBSD, my machine is ALMOST un-obsolescent
(and WILL be once it's working :).

geoffrey@netins.net