Subject: Re: NetBSD/68k Suggestion (put it on a CD)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1996 22:07:24
At 6:27 PM 4/9/96, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>> I was wondering if anyone has the 1.1 release of NetBSD/68k available on a
>> CD-ROM that they are selling. If not, has anyone thought about putting
>> NetBSD on a CD-ROM? You could include the complete source, the installation
>> notes, all the files needed to make a installation (all the .tar's), maybe
>> Xwindows and anything else you can stuff on a CD-ROM. It probably would be
>> possible to burn part of the CD-ROM as a Unix partition and have Netbsd
>> pre-installed.
>>
>> If anyone was thinking about doing this or would do it, I am sure there are
>> a few people who would be willing to pay to get the source and netbsd/68k
>> on a cd-rom.
>
>Some people have done this, and also people who have CD ROM writers on
>current-users have offered to write CD's for a nominal fee (barely
>covering media cost and labor at minimum wage).
>
>The problem for the mac68k port is that we're making such improvements
>with time that even 1.1 is not the optimal source base to use. Floating
>point emmulation didn't make it into 1.1, and there were a number
>of bugs w/ the 1.1 kernel which have been fixed (like serial console
>not working (mea culpa), interrupt service levels set up wrong, and some
>SCSI bugs). Direct adb support seems close to being in the tree (or might
>even be; I'm not sup'ing at the moment).
>
>> BTW, Does the 1.1 release work correctly with a Macintosh IIsi with a 50mhz
>> Daystar accelerator (with FPU) ? Thanks.
>
>I think so, though am not sure. The accelerator is still an 030?
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill
Yes, it is still a 030, just at 50mhz. It's kinda too late for me, cause I
already ordered NetBSD and I think FreeBSD with a bunch of other stuff from
Infomagic <http://www.infomagic.com/>. I was told this to check out that
place by Joel Klecker (thanks for the info btw). It seemed okay, so I
called my dad to the computer, and we ordered it online 2nd day air. It
seems to have every version of NetBSD 1.1 (68k and the others), FreeBSD,
Xwindows, some FAQ's and other free unix programs. It seems nice, and I
hope it runs correctly on my mac. If you (or anyone else) knows of some
kernel fixes/bug fixes that I will absolutely need, please tell me. Like I
mentioned, I have a MacIIsi '030 at 50mhz (Daystar Accelerator), 17mb RAM,
and I'll probably put NetBSD on a 80mb HD.

Thanks for the info (and tia for any more info :)

|          Victor Jimenez   -   vjimenez@awod.com          |
|  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/1874/index.html  |