Subject: Re: NetBSD/68k Suggestion (put it on a CD)
To: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1996 19:24:25
> Yes, it is still a 030, just at 50mhz. It's kinda too late for me, cause I
> already ordered NetBSD and I think FreeBSD with a bunch of other stuff from
> Infomagic <http://www.infomagic.com/>. I was told this to check out that
> place by Joel Klecker (thanks for the info btw). It seemed okay, so I
> called my dad to the computer, and we ordered it online 2nd day air. It
> seems to have every version of NetBSD 1.1 (68k and the others), FreeBSD,
> Xwindows, some FAQ's and other free unix programs. It seems nice, and I
> hope it runs correctly on my mac. If you (or anyone else) knows of some
> kernel fixes/bug fixes that I will absolutely need, please tell me. Like I
> mentioned, I have a MacIIsi '030 at 50mhz (Daystar Accelerator), 17mb RAM,
> and I'll probably put NetBSD on a 80mb HD.
>
> Thanks for the info (and tia for any more info :)

The binaries from 1.1 should be fine. Did they include the booter and
installer (the MacOS utilities)?  They're on puma if you need them.

You'll want to get a more recent kernel. Ones since about Jan 20 or
so should have fixed serial ports. I'm not sure about all the other
fixes. The distributions on eskimo.com are a good place to start.

If I'm wrong, I'll quickly get corrected. :-)

Take care,

Bill