Subject: Re: Switching between users
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1996 21:46:35
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > My friend has linux on his computer.  He can switch between users when in
> > multi-user mode by using the function keys.  In other words, he can sign
> > in as two different users at the same time by using the function keys.
> > Can this be done with MacBSD?
>
> Why? If he knows both passwords, why bother having two users?
> What we can do is log in as one user, start dt, and then su to the
> other user(s) in various windows. Command-# switches between the
> windows (and thus the users).

It's really nice, coming from a Linux user, to switch consoles in the
middle of a session.  If you don't like X or hate waiting for it to start
up, you have virtual consoles which you can switch between to do multiple
tasks.  For instance, I've had to stop in the middle of editing a file to
read a man page and test a line of code, and I can switch between
"screens" in an instant to double-check the syntax, or whatever...

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!
SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer  http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/
pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu, rpetty@future.i5.com