Subject: Re: groups and su
To: None <kirk@calvin.pgcps.pg.k12.md.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/09/1996 13:37:53
> I have a small problem when setting up groups file
>
> wheel:*:0:kirk, johnp, peterjs
>
> and then logging in to the persons account such as johnp and then
> /usr/bin/su -
> I get an error that says that the person is not in the right group to use
> su.

Off hand, I'd say loose the spaces. Try

wheel:*:0:kirk,johnp,peterjs

I've got me & root in wheel w/o spaces and it all works.

> I have changed the users group id to 0 and done everything that I could
Probably not good on a machine w/ other people as there are places
where security is based on group #; make them su before they get at
all such things.

I bet the problem is that su looks at the "wheel" entry, not entry
# 0, but that's just a guess.

Take care,

Bill