Subject: Re: Mount Problems
To: Geof Abruzzi <gxa114@psu.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1996 14:32:00
On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, Geof Abruzzi wrote:

> /dev/rsd1a:  BAD SUPER BLOCK:  MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

Sounds like the filesystem's trashed.

> my fstab entry is the same as my root entry except the device (/dev/sd1a)
> and the mount point (/www).

And, I assume that it's set to be the second, rather than the first
filesystem checked... but that's not really so critical.

You'll need to boot into single user mode and run fsck manually.
Instead of mount, do an "fsck /dev/rsd1a" (without the quotes) and then
say yes when it asks you if you want to fix the magic number.  If it
tells you that the filesystem is clean: not checking, try "fsck -f
/dev/rsd1a" and force it to check that junk.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
<SIG>                                                                   |
|               The only difference between life and death              |
|                  is that life will eventually end....                 |
|_______________________________________________________________________|
|     THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT:         |   If there is one constant    |
|                                       |       in this universe,       |
|         And the Lord Said,            |          it is death.         |
|        Thou Shalt Not Quote           |            --Soran,           |
|            signatures....          ___|___   Star Trek Generations    |
|___________________________________|  ,,,  |---------------------------|
|                                     |o o|                             |
|/-------------------------------vvv--'-v-'--vvv-----------------------\|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|
|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|_|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|      La vie...  est interessante        |______|______|
|______|______|_|      La mort... est interessante        |____|______|_|
|___|______|____|      Mais cela... ce n'est rien!        |_|______|____|
|______|______|_|  ...Much learning doth make thee mad.   |____|______|_|

You can use pgp to send me encrypted messages using my public key (below).

</SIG>