Subject: Re: What is getty?
To: Jonathan Short <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu (Ken Nakata), shortj@ele.uri.edu>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1996 20:41:33
Yeah, but it'd still be much nicer if there were a nice ickle lazy script
that one could call as 'adduser <name>' that prompted me for the info, and
updated everything appropriately... ;-)

Mind you, there probably is one... if so, where / what?

John, the lazy one.

At 20:16 7/4/96, Ken Nakata wrote:
>> What do I add to the vipw file?  I mean, exactly what text do I add?
>> The FAQ was not explicit.  It just said to add the name, but what
>> else do I do? Also, I don't know what a getty is.  What would I do
>> to the file /etc/ttys and with what editor should I do it?  Thanks,
>
>Next time, fold the lines within 80 columns.  A long unbroken line
>makes it harder to read.
>
>As for what to add to /etc/passwd using the command vipw, refer to
>adduser(8).  This is the standard UNIX notation referring to the
>on-line manual pages (or man pages): item_name(section_number).  You,
>then, can look up to the man pages by invoking man command as: "man
>section_number item_name".  In this case, "man 8 adduser".  The man
>pages are extremely useful and everything you ever have to know (well,
>*almost* everything...) is in them.
>
>ken

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk