Subject: Re: XWindows
To: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Jonathan Short <shortj@leviathan.ele.uri.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1996 23:20:21
On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Ben Cottrell wrote:

> RAM is not a consideration in the question "will something run?" :-) Speed
> will suffer a lot... in short, I'd suggest that you run a chopped-down
> system and an X server on your 4MB machine and run *all* your clients--even
> your window manager--remotely from another machine. Otherwise you'll be
> waiting for literally two minutes or more for menus to pop down and stuff.
>
> 	-Ben

Mr. Cottrell,
     I checked out XWindows from an FTP site today with Netscape.  It was
around 16 meg.  I have a two hour time limit on my connection, and
therefore can only download about 7 meg (just enough for the base
file!).  If I only need the X server and not a window manager, will it
reduce the size?  If not, or if it is still more than 7 meg, is there
anything else that I can do to get XWindows?  Any ideas?  Thanks,
							Jonathan Short