Subject: Re: Using other Kernels
To: Jorge Ivan Rodriguez <yod@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1996 21:57:27
> What is the proper procedure for installing a new kernel.  Do I simply cpin
> it to root and make sure it is named netbsd?

You can simply cpin the file, and make sure the kernel name in the
Booter's Option/Booting dialog box refers to the one you are using.
So, it's not absolutely necessary to make it named "netbsd", though
some standard commands try to open the kernel file to get the name
list, in order to access kernel variables (e.g. ps, netstat, etc.).

> Is that all there is to it or do I need to somehow "sync" the kernel
> to my binaries?

"Sync" in this context means that the kernel and the few commands
agree on the structures, sizes, etc. of the kernel variables.
Typically this is achieved by compiling all of them from one single
source tree.

(I might be incorrect in the details, though)

ken