Subject: Re: What is getty?
To: Paul Goyette <shortj@ele.uri.edu (Jonathan Short), paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1996 20:16:50
> What do I add to the vipw file?  I mean, exactly what text do I add?
> The FAQ was not explicit.  It just said to add the name, but what
> else do I do? Also, I don't know what a getty is.  What would I do
> to the file /etc/ttys and with what editor should I do it?  Thanks,

Next time, fold the lines within 80 columns.  A long unbroken line
makes it harder to read.

As for what to add to /etc/passwd using the command vipw, refer to
adduser(8).  This is the standard UNIX notation referring to the
on-line manual pages (or man pages): item_name(section_number).  You,
then, can look up to the man pages by invoking man command as: "man
section_number item_name".  In this case, "man 8 adduser".  The man
pages are extremely useful and everything you ever have to know (well,
*almost* everything...) is in them.

ken