Subject: Re: CAP under NetBSD/mac68k
To: A. Forest Godfrey <ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: David Hornsby <djh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/07/1996 22:01:16
> From: "A. Forest Godfrey" <ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
> 1)  atlook gags on the Carnegie Mellon campus network.  Sometimes it
> core dumps, other times it complains about an invalid name length, and
> sometimes it does both.  It NEVER displays all the nodes on the network.

In cap60/samples/atlook.c, change the line

#define NUMNBPENTRY 250			/* max names we can lookup */

to a bigger number.

> 2)  A bigger problem is that the AppleShare server (aufs) is
> EXTREMELY slow!  So slow as to make it unusable.  It took 5 minutes to
> write a 12k file yesterday on a machine that is on the same hub as the
> server!

As an aside, AppleTalk/AFP is very unforgiving of even minor packet losses,

	Packet Loss	Time-LT	Throughput-LT	Time-ET	Throughput-ET
	0%		200 s	100%		  15 s	100%
	0.01%		205 s	 97%		  20 s	 75%
	0.05%		224 s	 89%		  39 s	 38%
	0.1%		248 s	 81%		  63 s	 24%
	0.5%		424 s	 47%		 255 s	  6%

(LT = LocalTalk, ET = EtherTalk, Time is for 1000 packets, numbers by
Tom Evans).

The usual suspect on a BSD host is having the Berkeley Packet Filter
return multiple packets in a single read. CAP copes with this OK assuming
that MULTI_BPF_PKT gets defined in cap60/support/ethertalk/bpfiltp.c
On NetBSD this is handled by #ifdef __NetBSD__

Check that your sources have this in place.

Otherwise check that your ethernet card is working OK by using ping or
spray etc. to send a bunch of packets to the CAP host. Check for log
or console error messages.

 - David.