Subject: CAP under NetBSD/mac68k
To: netbsd.com <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A. Forest Godfrey <ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/06/1996 15:59:30
    Ok, now that I have my NetBSD machine up and running (works really
well!!), I want to use it to (among other things) serve as an AppleShare
server to several Macs.  I got Columbia AppleTalk Package and patched it
to pl196.  It compiled without errors but I have the following two
problems with it:
    1)  atlook gags on the Carnegie Mellon campus network.  Sometimes it
core dumps, other times it complains about an invalid name length, and
sometimes it does both.  It NEVER displays all the nodes on the network.
 This is more of an anoyance than a major problem.
    2)  A bigger problem is that the AppleShare server (aufs) is
EXTREMELY slow!  So slow as to make it unusable.  It took 5 minutes to
write a 12k file yesterday on a machine that is on the same hub as the
server!

    I tried recompiling the kernel to have more packet filter since I
thought that this might help, however, I have a Mac IIci and the kernel
source I got crashed the machine, even using the provided GENERIC
configuration.  A full description of the machine follows, in case that
is of any help:
    Mac IIci, 68030 @ 25 MHz with Cache Card
    Asante Ethernet card, 8 megs of RAM
    NetBSD/mac68k 1.1A, using GENERIC #5 kernel
    1 gig Quantum hard drive as root/usr device
    120 meg Macinstore drive as a scratch drive

    Is this a known problem?  If so, is there a fix?  If no fix is there
an alternative?  Thanks a bunch in advance for any info you can give!

                                                            -- Forest
|  Forest Godfrey                           ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu|
|  Penguins in '96!                       fgodfrey@nyx.cs.du.edu|
|  Go Badgers!               Internet: Use it.  Don't abuse it! |
|  Vote Democrat!     Your share of the national debt>$17,000   |
|         Save the planet!  We don't have a backup copy         |