Subject: Re: I can't mount a partition
To: Ken Nakata <benh@inlink.com (Ben Hockenhull), kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/05/1996 18:24:58
> >Try *Usr* partition instead of Free.
>
> Ah ha!  So, can I go back into HDSC Setup and redo the partition in
> question without hosing everything on the other partitions?  This is not

I think so.  You should be able to change just the type of the
partition without touching the other partitions.  In the worst case,
you might have to remove *that* partition and replace with a new
partition to fit the gap, but it shouldn't disturb the others.

Then boot NetBSD and run "disklabel sd0" to see if the kernel could
find the partition.

> BTW, what is the logical difference between free and Usr partitions?  i.e.
> why will NetBSD recognize one but not the other?

Because it's the intended behavior (see mac68k/disksubr.c for the
ultimate details).  As for the rationale behind it, sorry, I can't
offer one since I'm not the one who designed and implemented it.

ken