Subject: Re: PPPD questions
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/03/1996 13:04:52

> > Ok ive got pppd working now but need to know how to get it to detect
> > loss of carrier from the modem so it would then hang up and try and
> > restablish the link... any ideas on how to do this?
>
> Last I checked ser.c, zs driver didn't seem to post SIGHUP when it
> detects dropped DCD.  I don't know why, but it means whatever process
> using the port cannot detect carrier loss unless it actively probes
> the modem line status... (it can be done, right?)

Kinda. ser.c doesn't post the SIGHUP; it calls ttymodem when there is
a change in DCD. ttymodem in turn sends the SIGHUP (line 1141 of my
potentially-antequated-post-1.1 kern/tty.c).

So processies should be getting SIGHUP's. Unless of course clocal is
set, or if there isn't a session leader. Though these decisions
are made in a port-independent part of the kernel, so everybody should
work the same.

Take care,

Bill