Subject: LCIII ethernet success
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1996 12:14:53
OK.  I've cracked it.

Would you believe the hang in my last post was due to (ints && 0x40) which
should have been (ints & 0x40) ;^S

Anyway, I now have an LCIII serving as a gateway between a three bit
ethernet subnet on my desk and my ISP. Everything looks pretty good.

I will rationalise my changes (I have only changed via.c, and most of the
changes are comments - the actual coding changes will amount to about 5
lines - but the comments will be helpful to anyone else working on this
later) and then put out patches, both to Allen and the world as a whole.

I will also put some kernels up for ftp.  Could anyone with a machine on
which the ethernet doesn't work, but mostly everything else does, the
symptom being a hang immediately after the ae0 line, drop me an email
describing their system, and I'll try and make a sensible kernel for them.

My kernels are ADBTEST kernels, obviously (currently based on ADBTEST#110),
but my changes should be compilable into a GENERIC.  I would also like a
few people with standard-ish systems to try a custom kernel so we can see
if my changes break any other systems.  I will probably put a compile flag
(RBVDEBUG?) and/or a kernel variable to log some debugging info.

Bear in mind it takes me hours to compile a kernel, so this is all going to
take a while...

Technically speaking, all I have done is make the kernel ignore some kind
of regular interrupt which is presumably (but not necessarily) some kind of
timing interrupt from the video card... so I am not much closer to talking
to the vidoe card.  Unfortunately, I'm about to leave the country, and the
'net, and go off travelling for 5 months or so, so I'll just try and leave
these changes stable, and someone else can pick up the graphics card stuff.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |