Subject: Re: How to make sendmail runs localy
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Koizumi, Tsukasa <pigtail@jeton.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/02/1996 08:53:54
At 20:41 04/01/96, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Koizumi, Tsukasa wrote:
>
> .. > If you create /etc/service.switch with just one line like
> .. >
> .. >      hosts files bind
> .. >
> .. > sendmail will consult /etc/hosts before the name service. This will e
>nable
> .. > sendmail to send to local hosts when no internet connection is available.
> .. > You may have to install sendmail from NetBSD-current to get this to work.
> .. >
> .. > regards
> .. > Erik Bertelsen.
> ..
> .. Thank you for your reply. I've tried it.
> ..
> .. In your advice, resolving host is still available. If the host is not i
>n hos
> .. ts, sendmail try resolving by bind. I must wait for timeout of name res
>olvin
> .. g when sending mails each from mail client on end machine to sendmail o
>n Net
> .. BSD server.
> ..
> If you want sendmail to never use the name service on a given machine,
> I would try to put
>

>       hosts files
>

> in /etc/service.switch.

I've tried it. But I got some problems.......

- The mails to outside return as unknown host error.
- The mails to local host with domain name also return as unknown host error
. (This case, I've tried to add domain name as host, but sendmail was in loo
p...)
- etc....

I think It would not make to turn off resolving. It's seem sendmail is tryin
g resolving. So, if sendmail can't get address of target mail server, it mak
es error response.

hummm.... Is it imposible that I hope ?

I hope,
- At "RCPT TO:" of SMTP communication, sendmail don't check mail server's IP
address of domain.
- It's OK resolving after closed SMTP communication.

Tsukasa Koizumi from TAMa-Te-bAKO Project (Tokyo, Japan)
representative of GRIP, MENeT & H.P.C.
mailto:pigtail@tpro.com / JCD03321@niftyserve.or.jp
WWW Home Page URL http://www.tpro.com/