Subject: Re: How to make sendmail runs localy
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: Koizumi, Tsukasa <pigtail@jeton.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1996 19:37:52
At 04:49 04/01/96, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Koizumi, Tsukasa wrote:
>
> .. Then, when sending mail to other site on Internet, sendmail resolve hos
>t and
> .. domain of target. It's also done when not connected Internet.....
>
> The problem is that sendmail uses its own configuration file
> (/etc/service.switch) and not NetBSD's own (/etc/resolv.conf).
>
> If you create /etc/service.switch with just one line like
>
>      hosts files bind
>
> sendmail will consult /etc/hosts before the name service. This will enable
> sendmail to send to local hosts when no internet connection is available.
> You may have to install sendmail from NetBSD-current to get this to work.
>
> regards
> Erik Bertelsen.

Thank you for your reply. I've tried it.

In your advice, resolving host is still available. If the host is not in hos
ts, sendmail try resolving by bind. I must wait for timeout of name resolvin
g when sending mails each from mail client on end machine to sendmail on Net
BSD server.

I want to turn off name resolving of sendmail sending non-local mails, to ma
ke sendmail to send to master SMTP host of ISP without resolving. I think it
will be to change S0 configuration in sendmail.cf. but I don't know what to
change.

How do you think ?

Tsukasa Koizumi from TAMa-Te-bAKO Project (Tokyo, Japan)
representative of GRIP, MENeT & H.P.C.
mailto:pigtail@tpro.com / JCD03321@niftyserve.or.jp
WWW Home Page URL http://www.tpro.com/