Subject: Re: Boot device
To: Jonathan Short <shortj@leviathan.ele.uri.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1996 01:03:47
On Sun, 31 Mar 1996, Jonathan Short wrote:

> When I try to boot the new ADBTEST kernel, it says "ARGH!  No Boot
> Device."  What is a boot device?  Also, what is a serial console?  Am I
> supposed to be asking such novice questions here?  Thanks.

[ stuff from Jonathan's message to me: ]

>      I'm sorry, I wrote down your address but not your name.  In any
> case, I own an LCII, and downloaded ADBTEST.132.  I tried to boot it from
> the MacOS.  I got past quite a bit of text, this is the end of what it
> said to me...
>         floppy0 at mainbus0 not configured
>         ARGH!! No boot device???? Only supports DISK device for booting

Jonathan,
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away on the message you sent me directly
on this. I'm on a business trip so I can't check my email as often as I
normally do.

These messages mean that it got to the point in the boot where it wanted to
mount a real AUX partition, which you don't have yet.

As to whether you should make an AUX partition or not:

When the kernel booted, did you see a message like "mouse at 3" or
any messages that mentioned the ADB devices? If it actually found some
devices, then there is a decent chance that you can get a full version
of NetBSD running on your machine. If not, then there is still something
wrong with the ADB code for the LCII and I'd recommend not.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504