Subject: Re: New ADBTEST kernel
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/01/1996 00:23:57
On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, John D. Smerdon wrote:
>
> > I booted single and multiuser several times , and it hasn't hung again.
> > The message is "... unexpected trap ..." that sometimes happens when
> > booting.
>
> Is there any correlation between mouse/keyboard activity and this
> message?  I seem to recall getting this message the last time I
> accidentally typed something while the kernel was still configuring
> devices...

On machines with II-like ADB hardware, I attempted to make the kernel handle
lots of ADB activity even during the section where it was probing for
the ADB devices. However, it wasn't really throughly tested.

On machines with IIsi-like ADB hardware, ADB activity _shouldn't_ hurt
things, but I have heard conflicting reports about this. Again, it
wasn't throughly tested, as that was one of my lesser concerns.

So, until we know better, it probably would be best to avoid generating
any ADB data (like moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard) until after
all the devices are probed.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504