Subject: ADB kernel #132 and nrcrscsi0 error
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/30/1996 00:27:55
Hi all,

Well it's good and bad news. i've just given John Wittowski's ADBTEST
kernel 132 a go. First time, it loaded fine, no probs, seemed to run ok.
More fun with this later though...

So - persumably you can add LCIII to the list of working computers, though
I haven't tested it excessively.

Now - the bad it. I have one NetBSD external drive, which I plug into
either my IIci or my LCIII depending on how I feel. Recently, I also tried
the GENERIC 52 from puma, which loaded ok on my IIci, but I've started to
get errors.
Unfortunately, I also get these errors now on bootup for the ADBTEST kernel
when it tries to mount root.

The error is something like this, as I recall:

nrcrscsi0: Resetting scsibus (Phase change timeout)

[listen from quiet clunk from drive ;-)]

At first I thought.. shit, my hard drive is shagged. Except that when I
tried the 52 kernel, it worked fine apart from regular occurrences of this
error during disk access to my external drive, so I switched back to
GENERIC 50 (from wormey). With the 50 kernel back in place, the problem
disappeared.

Similary, a very old (#19?!) Wittowski kernel works fine, and this new #132
kernel gives the error too - this time meaning it fails to mount root, and
crashes into the debugger.

But - it worked first time I ran it. Luck?!

Now - is this something to do with the way the kernel has been compiled for
another machine? Or is it something more sinister?

Any help gratefully appreciated, and please don't tell me it's my drive, or
I'll cry :-!

Thanks all,

John.

                  "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]