Subject: Re: Tk kills X server
To: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1996 14:50:16
> I should partially apologize: my problem was not entirely your
> fault. I came today to my office and rerun the same tests on a few
> different machines. [...]

It wouldn't be my fault if it was a bug in the Xmacbsd server... I've
done very little work on the program ;-) My source is still almost
identical to what it was when I took over the maintenance from Allen.

Anyway, I ran "make test" and succeeded to reproduce the problem.
I haven't got around to analyze the dumped core yet.

> > BTW, the source diffs will be only for those who know what they are
> > doing, and no question will be answered.  Sorry, but I have to keep
> > incoming mails manageable.
>
> Are you going to make source diffs publicly available or send them out
> on request? If the latter, could you (or Allen?) send me the diffs and
> the pointer to base sources? (no more questions asked).

I wouldn't mind helping those with clues.  In fact, I hope that, by
helping them, there will be a better X for MacBSD.  Not that I can be
much of help anyway, though.

Oh, please don't get me wrong.  By helping the clueless (pardon my bad
mouth), we'll have a stronger user community.  That's definitely a
good thing, too.  But rebuilding the entire X11R6 binary or even
encouraging them to do so may be torturous for newbies.  I think they
need help in different area.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting the diffs up on my homepage or puma
X11R6 directory with some (minimum) instruction.  There will be some
pointers to places where you can get the X Consortium source, though I
wouldn't recommend ftping the source; it's too large.

ken