Subject: Re: Tk kills X server
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1996 15:00:56
> Hmm.  I've recently been experiencing problems where the Xserver does all
> sorts of wierd stuff when it tries to exit.  Most of the time, it just
> hangs my IIci completely, where I can't even use the NMI switch.  Some of
> the time, it gives me vm_faults.  And some of the time, it works OK!

Which Xserver are you using?

> I've found that it is much more rel;iable to exit properly if I first get
> rid of all the ap-plications (like, xman, xconsole, xterm, etc.) that I
> start up before letting the server itself exit.  But it's still not a
> 100% solution.

Hmm, this never heppened me...  I almost always exit X without exiting
the applications without any problems.

> One thing I've noticed is that when I use the workspace menu option to
> try to kill some of the applications, I get a "watch cursor" that won't
> go away.  When I next press the mouse button, I get some other strange
> looking cursor, and then I get the normal X cursor when releasing the mouse.

You are not alone.  I often experience the same phonemenon on the
University's NCD X terminals as well as on my SE/30.  Just click it
away.  It appears to be harmless.

ken