Subject: Re: Tk kills X server
To: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/1996 05:18:22
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Taras Ivanenko wrote:

> I was installing Tk 4.0 on my Mac IIcx + Netbsd-1.1 + Generic-5 kernel
> + X.11Mar95 distribution + Xmacbsd-960127. The whole package compiled
> with only minor warnings. When I tried to run the tests, X server died
> on segmentation violation. I checked with gdb, the error occured in
> miPolyFillRect (I am not sure about spelling) function, called from
> PolyFillRect. I can not tell more until I get the sources, recompile
> Xserver, ... The README file for tests says that the tests may not be
> compatible with every server and so on, but I would not expect it to
> die. I am not sure now how usable is the whole tk package.

Hmm.  I've recently been experiencing problems where the Xserver does all
sorts of wierd stuff when it tries to exit.  Most of the time, it just
hangs my IIci completely, where I can't even use the NMI switch.  Some of
the time, it gives me vm_faults.  And some of the time, it works OK!

I've found that it is much more rel;iable to exit properly if I first get
rid of all the ap-plications (like, xman, xconsole, xterm, etc.) that I
start up before letting the server itself exit.  But it's still not a
100% solution.

One thing I've noticed is that when I use the workspace menu option to
try to kill some of the applications, I get a "watch cursor" that won't
go away.  When I next press the mouse button, I get some other strange
looking cursor, and then I get the normal X cursor when releasing the mouse.

Strange...