Subject: Re: disklabels
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1996 22:37:12
> If we want to support lots of partitions, we should probably do something like
> the Atari (or Amiga?) port did and go up to 16 partitons per drive. :-)

I'd like to do this.  The problem is that I've not figured out a way
to do this that would not be terribly painful...  It would require
rebuilding /dev with the proper device nodes and it's a "no return"
situation--once you've changed, you can't run kernels from before the
change and vice-versa.  I'd like to at least provide two miniroots--one
with 16 maxpartitions and one with 8.

Another issue is that it would be nice to go to a 32-bit dev_t which
would allow us to have many more partitions than just 16.  I don't know
where that fits into the plans for NetBSD, though, and it might be worth
it to just ignore that for now...

-allen

--
  Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **