Subject: Re: XServer sources and color support
To: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1996 22:06:13
> I am writing this directly to you because Xmacbsd-960127 on puma seems to
> be from you:

I've forgotten what, exactly Ken replied to you on this, so I'll fill
in.  If I'm repeating him, I apologize.  If you want to do some work on
this, let me know.

> I think that the NetBSD X-Server is based on a server
> included in the X core distribution.

I think Ken forwarded these to you.  The server is a new one, based on
the contributed A/UX one, I think.

> Another thing: Do you know what is keeping color apart?

Control over the graphics cards.  I'd like to use the drivers that
Quickdraw-compatible graphics cards are required to have on their PROMs.
I don't have the time to work on this, though, and although a few people
have said that they'd start working on better NuBus support for this,
I've not heard of any successes or failures.  This should help both
8-bit PseudoColor and 16-/24-bit TrueColor and DirectColor support
(using the X terminology ;-).

-allen

--
  Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **