Subject: Re: MacBSD for 68040 machines
To: Michael D. Tang <frisco@zoom.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1996 14:20:28
>          Hi, I would like to know if there is a specific date when the
> next release of macbsd is gonna to be out?  Which is said to be
> compatible with 68040 machines.

No. I've heard no release date for 1.2 yet.

Also, NetBSD, being a free, net-written and net-supported OS
does not have versions lying around waiting for the next "release"
to make their appearance. People write code, test it, and decide it is
finished-enough to incorperate into the system. These changes then
getm merged into "netbsd-current", the current state of the
OS. A while before a release, -current gets frozen so that all
the bugs can be found before the release is solidified.

We don't fully support 040 machines yet. The 040 part is OK, we
just don't support the SCSI, Ethernet, or adb systems on these
machines. When such support appears, it will be merged into
-current, so you won't have to wait for the release to get
ahold of it. Certain additions, such as the direct adb driver,
exist seperately from -current as they break as many machines as they
fix (for now). :-(

Take care,

Bill