Subject: Re: PPP problem
To: jblancha <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/27/1996 09:18:33

> Hello,
>
> I have treid the ppp-scripts, on Puma.
> I have chanded some files for my configuration.
> Put when I tried ppp-up it prints
> (I am on /etc/ppp and I type sh ppp-up ,and I am on single-user mode, and
> I write on the beginnig mount -u /)
>
> grep: */status no such file or directory
> connecting...
> #
>
> and nothing !
> Nothing send to my modem ( I have verified it, pluging my PowerBook, on
> the modem-port, with a null-modem cable )
> Is there something wrong

Uhm, why are you doing this in single user mode? As Ken noted, these
scripts want /proc around. Also, single-user mode is defined as a
mode where the system is partially up for one user.  Specifically,
things like _networking_ are not necessarily up!

Try it again in multi-user mode (logged in as root). Don't mind the
"don't log in as root" message if you're at the console (either
serial or keyboard).

Ken mentioned that these scripts are not great for permenant dial-ups.
Though they mightn't be designed for it, I think they would work. The
one thing they wouldn't do is some sort of error handling if the
modem line goes down. They should be fine for just dialing up from
home. That's what I use them for.

Take care,

Bill