Subject: "Whee! We are the console!"
To: Mac68k Port <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Ghormley <cghormle@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/24/1996 18:54:32
Hello, everyone.

Thanks for your help and advice on getting my Classic II to boot.  Thanks
especially to Andrew Foakes, who sent me a lovely how-to detailing the
procedure for installing the system and giving it a preliminary
configuration.  It's surprising what little things can do.  The last
stumbling block was my terminal settings on the console--8N1 vs. 7N1
makes a huge difference--so now I can log in as root, and some things
work.

Strangely though, I have found that nothing in the /usr/sbin directory is
recognized as a valid command.  /bin works, /usr/bin works, just no
sbin.  By 'work', I mean that it runs as expected or gives an appropriate
error message, not just "Don't know what you mean by that, boss [sic]."  I'm
using the generic#5 kernel on a classic II: no fpu, 4 M RAM, 15 M swap.
Base11 and etc11 are installed, but nothing else.

Please let me know if I am being annoyingly obtuse.

Chris
 C.S. Ghormley	 	       	  email neutron@directory.reed.edu
 #13 Reed College		  tel.    +1 503.771.1306
 Portland, Oregon  97202-8199
   What's Wrong With McDonalds?  see http://www.McSpotlight.org/