Subject: Re: Weird scsi errors...
To: Jell-O <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, wookie@us.net>
From: Chris Jacobson <fear@athenet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1996 22:42:44
At 7:14 PM 3/23/96, Jell-O is rumored to have typed:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a couple of errors relating to the SCSI disk.  I'm using a Seagat=
> 237 MB with SCSI id 1...anyway, here are some errors that I've been having=
.
> I don't know what to make of them; I was hoping that someone else would...
>
> I was doing a 'man' lookup.  When man started its search for the page, the
> system froze and my HD light stayed on.  Dropping to the debugger, here's
> where I ended up:
>
> Panic switch:  PC is 0x98faa.
>  Stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
>
> I have tried but could not reproduce that problem under the same
> circumstances.  I got this same error when trying to login.  I rebooted th=
> system and I tried to do a 'man' lookup again and this time I got this
> error:
>
> sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0): illegal request, data =3D 00 00 00 00 21 00 01 00 00 7f=
 ff
> dh hd
>
> Another error (I don't know if it's related or not) that I got after the
> system was idle for about ten minutes was the following:
>
> Mar 23 20:44:46 myname /netbsd: ncrscsi 0: Resetting SCSI-bus (Timeout
> waiting for phase-change)
>
> After the crashes when the HD light stays high, I've had problems with
> files and directories getting corrupted.  Some file descriptors for
> /usr/bin got corrupted (i.e. su, ruptime, rsh, rup, and about 15-20 more).
>
> Does anyone have ideas?

OUCH!

I once had this problem, with my old internal 80 meg (and I've never used
NetBSD).

My problem turned out to be hard disk damage.  You may have to reformat it,
or worse, buy a new one (worst case scenarios, this is what I had to do).
The disk would 'crash' with the disk keep going (light stayed on), and
dropping to MacsBug, it was in a no-exit loop to infinity.

- ChrisJ

-----BEGIN USELESS SIGNATURE BLOCK-----
  =ABMOOF!=BB    |\_/|           /|
       \_ |____      \___|   |    Clarus the Dogcow
               \ _           |    Oooooh lookie!  A new pet!
                | | _____    |    - Chris Jacobson
-----END USELESS SIGNATURE BLOCK-----