Subject: Weird scsi errors...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/23/1996 21:14:30
Hi,

I've had a couple of errors relating to the SCSI disk.  I'm using a Seagate
237 MB with SCSI id 1...anyway, here are some errors that I've been having.
I don't know what to make of them; I was hoping that someone else would...

I was doing a 'man' lookup.  When man started its search for the page, the
system froze and my HD light stayed on.  Dropping to the debugger, here's
where I ended up:

Panic switch:  PC is 0x98faa.
 Stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6

I have tried but could not reproduce that problem under the same
circumstances.  I got this same error when trying to login.  I rebooted the
system and I tried to do a 'man' lookup again and this time I got this
error:

sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 21 00 01 00 00 7f ff
dh hd

Another error (I don't know if it's related or not) that I got after the
system was idle for about ten minutes was the following:

Mar 23 20:44:46 myname /netbsd: ncrscsi 0: Resetting SCSI-bus (Timeout
waiting for phase-change)

After the crashes when the HD light stays high, I've had problems with
files and directories getting corrupted.  Some file descriptors for
/usr/bin got corrupted (i.e. su, ruptime, rsh, rup, and about 15-20 more).

Does anyone have ideas?

Jon
wookie@us.net