Subject: Re: External Terminal?
To: Chris Jacobson <fear@athenet.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/1996 10:23:07
> I found a place that sells 'Amber Monitors', with 9 pin connectors...
> Um, so what do I do to be able to use something like that with NetBSD?

It's probably one of the old MDA/CGA/EGA monitors, and would be no use
for you if what you want to do is to hook it to your Mac as a serial
terminal.

> (Remember I'm on a Classic II) Or, basically, if I want to use an external
> terminal (because I have to, a 'serial console'), but don't want to use
> another computer, what are my solutions,

Get a serial terminal (made by DEC, Wyse, and so on) which is basically
a small computer with fixed functionality.

If I were you, I'd get a cheap used PowerBook or notebook PC instead.
That way I could use it to do other things than as a terminal.

To connect two Macs, you can use a printer cable (Apple System/
Peripheral-8 Cable M0197LL/B or equivalent).  To hook up a PC to a
Mac, get a Mac-to-modem (DIN8(male)-DB25(male)) cable and a PC-
to-modem cable (DB25(female)-DB25(male) or DB9(female)-DB25(male)),
and connect the two cables with a null modem adaptor.

ken