Subject: Re: send mail problem
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/1996 17:46:03
> At 8:43 am 21/3/96, Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) wrote:
> >I turned it on with the default in netstart -bd -q30m and I get and error
> >on startup that says -q30m: not found.  this happens right after
> >"starting network"
>
> you probably don't have "-bd -q30m" in quotes.

Exactly.

> >also when "starting network daemons: routed printer sendmailroot...
> >Recipient names must be specified" I then put my name in there and hit
> >control c and the boot finishes fine.
>
> bizarre.  Might be related to above.

Not at all.  Because he has

sendmail_flags=-bd -q30m

in his /etc/netstart (thus /bin/sh tries to run a command "-q30m" with
a temporary environment variable "sendmail_flags" whose value set to
"-bd"; hence "-q30m: not found"), sendmail_flags isn't set to NO when
/etc/rc is executed.  In fact sendmail_flags is empty, so that sendmail
is invoked with *no argument* (or an empty argument) which means it
tries to send something to someone neither which is specified to it.

Make sense to you?

ken