Subject: Re: Booting Classic II
To: Chris Ghormley <cghormle@reed.edu>
From: Andrew Foakes <andrew@foakes.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/1996 19:55:10
--============_-1384770786==_============

Chris,

Please forgive me.  I realise that I am stupid and you, of course, are not.
I forgot that when I got my Classic II to work, I did have to do one extra
thing - set up the tty devices.  Attached are my notes on how to do this
based on help kindly given to me by Steve Bowers <argle@tcp.co.uk>, amongst
others.

Aplogies again for missing this when I first replied.

Yours,

Andrew

--============_-1384770786==_============

NetBSD on a Macintosh Classic II/Performa 200

Installing NetBSD
-----------------
To install NetBSD:

1.) Install NetBSD-1.1/mac68k as per the instructions in the INSTALL
    document.

2.) Staying in the install utility, use its minishell to copy (cpin)
    the "netbsd.GENERIC-5" kernel from:

      ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/outgoing/briggs/

    to /netbsd.GENERIC-5 (or any other suitable name).  To do this, move
    the kernel to the same folder as "MacBSD Install Utility 1.0" and
    start the mini-shell from the file menu.  Then issue the command:

      cpin netbsd.GENERIC-5 netbsd.GENERIC-5

    or

      cpin netbsd.GENERIC-5 <some.other.name>

2.) Change the /etc/ttys file.  It can be moved to the MacOS disk via
    the minishell's "cpout" command:

      cd /etc
      cpout ttys ttys

    Edit it, changing the lines:

      # Define console that we actually run getty on
      ttye0 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" vt220 on secure

    and:

      #Hardwired lines are marked off ...
      tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown off secure

    to:

      # Define console that we actually run getty on
      ttye0 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" vt220 off secure

    and:

      #Hardwired lines are marked off ...
      tty00 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" unknown on secure

    respectively.  Save this file as text with Unix line terminations
    and "cpin" it back to /etc/ttys:

      cpin ttys ttys

3.) This kernel will only boot using the serial console.  In booter,
    set the options for serial console and serial echo.  Give the SCSI
    number of the boot drive and the name of the kernel.  Check that the
    console is the modem port.  Save the preferences and quit and
    restart booter to actually save them.

4.) Now plug in a terminal over the serial line.  This can be another
    Macintosh, in which case use a LocalTalk or printer cable to connect
    the modem ports together.  On the second Mac, start a terminal
    package (e.g. ZTerm or ClarisWorks) and use the serial tool with the
    modem port set to 9,600 bps, 7 bits, 1 stop, no parity and Xon/Xoff
    (no hardware handshake).

5.) On the first Mac, check that the memory is set up as 32 bit.  The
    Classic II does not need any enablers for 32 bit addressing (unlike
    the SE/30).  Boot into NetBSD (Cmd-B in booter).

Things to Know
--------------
* If booting off a kernel on a MacOS disk, the kernel must be in the
  same folder as the booter utility.  SImilarly, using the minishell's
  "cpin" command, the files to be copied must be in the Install's
  folder.

* The serial line runs at 9,600 bps.

* Saving preferences in booter is only done when the application is quit
  after the option is selected in the menu, not when the option is
  selected.

Andrew Foakes             | I share my birthday with Mrs Thatcher.
andrew@foakes,demon.co.uk | But I'll share my opinion with anybody.