Subject: Re: Booting Classic II
To: Chris Ghormley <cghormle@reed.edu>
From: Andrew Foakes <andrew@foakes.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/1996 19:28:50
Chris,

Re:

==> I figured out how to make the external console work, which is an
==> important step forward, if a small one.  Now when I use Booter 1.8
==> to boot, I get:
==>
==> ...
==>
==> I thought that the dt would take care of adb problems.  ... I have
==> the for_mays and generic-5 kernels ...

Forgive me for being insulting, but may I tentitively suggest that you
haven't quite worked out how to get the serial console to work.  I may be
wrong, of course, so apologies again if I am, but your mention of "dt" and
"adb problems" leads sme to suspect that you are still trying to get the
Mac's own screen and keyboard to work.  In fact, the kernel does stop where
you said if you try and use the Mac's hardware.  Instead, use the terminal
linked to whatevr port you choose in the booter, select serial console (and
serial echo?) and boot away.  You should see messages continue on the
terminal screen *not* the Mac's screen.

Apologies if I've misunderstood and you've done all this, in which case
e-mail me and I'll give you my notes on how I got it all to work. Generic
#5 does work very well on a Classic II with a serial console.

Yours,

Andrew

Andrew Foakes             | I share my birthday with Mrs Thatcher.
andrew@foakes,demon.co.uk | But I'll share my opinion with anybody.