Subject: Re: Booting Classic II
To: Chris Ghormley , Mac68k Port <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/19/1996 18:17:43
On Mar 19, 17:07, Chris Ghormley wrote:
> Subject: Booting Classic II
>
> I figured out how to make the external console work, which is an important
> step forward, if a small one.  Now when I use Booter 1.8 to boot,
> I get:
[ deleted ]
> and it looks to me like everything's fine until:
>
> mrg: kernel has no ROM vectors for this machine!
> adb: no ROM ADB driver in this kernel for this machine

the mrg initialisation is never called when you are booting with a serial
console, when the init code doesn't get called, the ROM vectors aren't set, and
so you get that error message, basically just indicating that the adb won't be
working.

> mainbus0 (root)
> ite0 at mainbus0 (minimal console)
> adb0 at mainbus0 (ADB event device)
> ser0 at mainbus0
> [halt]

On my trusty IIsi, the next step in autoconf is nubus0 - at a guess, I'd say
that's probably your problem, but it could also be that there is a problem in
ser0, the serial controller with your serial console setup (but I'm guessing).

> I thought that the dt would take care of adb problems.

dt is a user level program which emulates a vt series terminal with multiple
virtual consoles, and mouse support. As I understand it (I haven't looked at
the source recently), it uses the kernel's adb and grf drivers to do its thing,
so it won't work on a machine with no video or adb support.

I don't know how much help this is, but it should at least explain some things.

Bernard.